Disaster Has Struck

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:03 am

The problem is, It's not even close if you are colorblind. :shock:
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:16 am

trucker2000 wrote:The problem is, It's not even close if you are colorblind. :shock:
Ah....... :?
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:47 am

First of all: MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!!

This week has been hectic, to say the least. Our celebrations, family-wise, were over on Sunday. We were with my side of the family on Saturday and his on Sunday. Since this has been such a strange year, we decided our Christmas would also be strange. So, today we are all relaxing.

On Monday, Gary and I went to MacIntyre-Mann, the flooring company, and picked out carpet and vinyl. The carpet part was easy, but the vinyl was difficult. Not a lot of choices in color - mostly earth tones and I'm definitely NOT an earth tone person.

Then it was off to Lowe's. We had to pick out faucets for the kitchen and 3 bathrooms, a sink for the kitchen, a dishwasher, light fixtures and ceiling fans for the entire house.

We finished up at Sherwin-Williams picking out paint colors. The sure don't have a lot of paint chips to pick from. But we did finally decide although it was a little difficult to get something to match with the vinyl and not have a totally blah room.

In all of that, we also met with the contractor to let him know our choices and where to get them. We also voiced our extreme displeasure with some of the goings on with the workers. They've been using t he floor of the house for an ashtray, they broke one of the porch chairs, they've dug ruts - deep ruts - in the front yard, and they're also using the front yard for a garbage dump at lunch time despite the fact that the dumpster is still there.

Despite all of that, they seem to be making good progress. Shower stalls and the tub/shower surround have been installed. Wiring, cable and phone lines are in. Windows and the patio door are installed, although we think they may have screwed up and not installed the tilt-in windows we asked for. The kitchen is still empty, but the line for a gas stove is in place. All-in-all, it's looking like we may actually be able to move back in by the end of March or the first of April.
Bev Image

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:05 pm

:-D Dang......you needed to relax!!!!

Glad things are going well.....in spite of everything.

Merry Christmas!!!!

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:43 pm

I guess we were the last ones that got to post before the "accident", huh, Iswot?

Anyway, things are still moving along. The windows are, in fact, the tilt in kind. Yay! Much easier to clean especially the upstairs ones.

New Year's Eve day we picked out kitchen and bathroom cabinets along with counter and vanity tops.

The weekend after New Year's we went and picked out the last of the major furniture purchases. We also bought a refridgerator and range.

Some set-backs though. The vinyl we picked out for two of the bathrooms is too wide, so we have to a) pay the extra cost; b) use the same vinyl in both bathrooms; or c) pick out new vinyl that isn't as wide. We're going to attempt option c. The other thing that happened is a water pipe burst in the basement. The contractor supposedly bled the line first thing, but the plumber may have turned the water on to test the faucets in the bathrooms without bleeding the line when he was finished. We don't know. At least this isn't an expense that will be on us.
Bev Image

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:47 pm

You have to pay extra to have the vinal cut?? :scratchhead:
Tis quite odd. It shouldn't cost anything as they are going to have to cut it anyway just to make the holes for the commode and such.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:25 pm

Yeah, I think the width is probably 12 feet instead of 6 feet, so about double what we need for the bathrooms.
Bev Image

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:03 am

I guess we were the last ones that got to post before the "accident", huh, Iswot?
Yeah, I guess......
Goodness, it looks like you and Trucker were in the 'reconstructering' business during the holidays...... :smile:

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:08 am

lswot wrote:
Yeah, I guess......
Goodness, it looks like you and Trucker were in the 'reconstructering' business during the holidays...... :smile:
Yes, Bev was rebuilding a house, and I was rebuilding a computer and website. :IV:
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:30 pm

Yes, Bev was rebuilding a house, and I was rebuilding a computer and website.
And the winner is???? :scratchhead:
Looks like two for two..... :smile:

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:59 pm

I haven't updated in a while, so here goes. (Excuse any spelling/grammar errors - I went to the dentist today and had 4 teeth pulled.)

The contractor has given us a move-in date of March 1. The kitchen cabinets are in as are the bathroom vanities. Drywall is up and ceilings are textured. They start painting and staining this week.

We've been keeping an eye on things, going to the house at least twice a week to check. There have been some problems, but they've been good about getting them taken care of. At least nothing as disasterous as the green roof! They sanded and sealed the wood floors. It's almost a shame that we're putting carpet in, but the wood has shrunk due to all the water.

Next week, they lay the carpet and vinyl. And I'm assuming that's when they'll want the appliances for the kitchen. We had to buy the stove and refridgerator ourselves since they weren't built in. And the dishwasher as well - I can't wait. The dishwasher here is a piece of... well, you know.

They won't paint the outside of the house until it warms up. But we can live with that! They're also supposed to replace any plants and bushes that got destroyed during construction as well as fixing ruts in the yard. We're also trying to get a landscaper out since there is stuff we wanted to do pre-fire anyway.
Bev Image

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:29 pm

Wow, only 3 more weeks. :)
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:31 am

I haven't updated in a while, so here goes. (Excuse any spelling/grammar errors - I went to the dentist today and had 4 teeth pulled.)
Soooo, getting this house back to snuff is like 'pulling teeth'? :smile:

Sorry :oops: couldn't resist.

Happy about the way things are going for you.....and that it will all be over soon......but not soon enough for you, I bet? :bdsmile:

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:24 pm

lswot wrote:Soooo, getting this house back to snuff is like 'pulling teeth'? :smile:

Sorry :oops: couldn't resist.
:P :lol: I'm feeling better today - can you tell?
Happy about the way things are going for you.....and that it will all be over soon......but not soon enough for you, I bet? :bdsmile:
Oh yeah! This house is really starting to feel cramped!

One thing I forgot to mention. Since Gary has been so good about letting me pick out stuff, he's getting his dream entertainment room. A 55" wide screen TV with a 700 watt entertainment system, which his brother is helping install. We've already picked out 2 double reclining sofas with a fold down table in the middle and matching recliner. We don't have any tables picked out yet though. I think we watch "Monster House" entirely too much... :aangel:
Bev Image

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:54 am

Oh yeah! This house is really starting to feel cramped!

One thing I forgot to mention. Since Gary has been so good about letting me pick out stuff, he's getting his dream entertainment room. A 55" wide screen TV with a 700 watt entertainment system, which his brother is helping install. We've already picked out 2 double reclining sofas with a fold down table in the middle and matching recliner. We don't have any tables picked out yet though. I think we watch "Monster House" entirely too much...
Yikes! :shock: That's a BIG TV......and sound system. Goodness....you mean there's ROOM for the chairs, etc? Yep.....MONSTER HOUSE seems to have taken over your lives. Hmmm.....so after the builders leave are you going to apply to TRADING SPACES? :lol: