Disaster Has Struck

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:47 pm

lswot wrote:
BevH wrote:Well, we are spending the first night in our own place with all new furniture. I'm very tired, so sometime this weekend I hope to be able to tell everyone what happened the night of the fire. Some of it is kinda comical.
Good..... :smile:
I'll second that :)
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:49 pm

YEAH!! :rock:

Home is your pillow, mattress, sheets and blankets. No matter where you put them! :rock:

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:36 pm

Re "Home is your pillow, mattress, sheets and blankets."
And internet connection? ;)

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:45 pm

Forget the rest. As long as I have my internet connection, I can live anywhere. :lol:
Sometimes.
Forum Host

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:21 pm

Well I think I have a few minutes to put together now. Been busy putting together a household inventory list for the insurance company. Man, did we have a LOT of stuff!

Anyway, as promised, here's an account of what happened the night of the fire:

My DH, Gary, and I are at home with the 3 dogs. Our 3 daughters are out for the night. Gary is upstairs watching "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and I'm in the basement playing a game on my computer. The time is approximately 8:30 p.m.

I hear Gary yell something at me from upstairs. Like the dutiful wife I am, I ignore him. :) A few minutes later, he yells again, this time I decide I'd better find out what he wants, save my game, and head upstairs. As I reach the family room, which is still downstairs from where Gary is, he yells at me, "FIRE! Get the dogs!"

I call for the dogs, run the rest of the way up and get my sheltie, Tiffany, and my daughter's beagle, Cassie, out the back door. Cassie promptly runs back inside and downstairs. In the meantime, I can't find the puppy, Missie. I left the basement door open and was afraid she'd gone down there. So I start to run upstairs, why I don't know, but halfway up, Gary asks if I've called the fire department. So I run back down, grab the cordless and dial 911. After the call, I turn around and see two little heads poking up from behind the coffee table. Missie makes a beeline for her kennel, so I shut the door and start to carry her upstairs. Gary grabs her from me and tries to get me to go, but a tell him that Cassie is still downstairs. Running back downstairs, I scoop up Cassie and head upstairs again, by this time I'm REALLY sick of those stairs! Gary and I head outside and across the street, the main floor of the house is already getting quite thick with smoke.

After making an attempt to get Tiffany out of the backyard (firemen wouldn't allow it), Gary finally gets the chance to tell me what happened. As I said, he was watching the movie, when he heard what sounded like a fireplace when it crackles. We'd had trouble with kids across the street on 4th of July throwing sparkler bombs in our yard, so that's what Gary thought it might be. He went outside to look and saw smoke coming from the garage. He ran back inside, opened the door from the dining room into the garage and saw flames - it was pretty well involved already at that point. The popping sound he heard was most likely the couple of dozen cans of spray paint he had stored right about where the fire started.

The fire turned out to be a 5-alarm blaze, with one fireman getting injured, although not too severely. It was 11:00 p.m. before the fire was completely out and the fire department stayed through the night to make sure it didn't flare up again and to keep possible looters away.

Oh, and the funny part - me running up and down those stairs all those times! Not big on the exercise... :wlift:
Bev Image

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:31 pm

I'm wore out just reading about it. I couldn't imagine living through it. I'm very happy everyone with faces escaped alright but I'm still bummed by the loss of your home. :ghug:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:52 pm

BevH wrote:Well I think I have a few minutes to put together now. Been busy putting together a household inventory list for the insurance company. Man, did we have a LOT of stuff!
Reminds myself to take pictures of all my stuff and take the pictures to the office! :shock:

Anne
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:26 pm

I took pics of everything I have after getting this puter. Bundled them up in an envelope and took them to my Mothers house.
Problem is, if my house burnt down, it wouldn't matter. She can't remember where she hid them. :scratchhead:

What a story. Have they figured out how the fire started?
Sometimes.
Forum Host

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:36 pm

trucker2000 wrote:I took pics of everything I have after getting this puter. Bundled them up in an envelope and took them to my Mothers house.
Problem is, if my house burnt down, it wouldn't matter. She can't remember where she hid them. :scratchhead:

What a story. Have they figured out how the fire started?
They think it may have been electrical. It's a 40 year old house that's never been rewired.

On a more cheerful note, I finally got a car this weekend! I replaced a 2002 Mustang with a 2003 Mustang. Same color - Sonic Blue - but this one has custom leather seats and a better stereo system. Now if I only had some CDs...
Bev Image

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:14 pm

Life is looking up. :)
Sometimes.
Forum Host

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:39 am

Henry J wrote:But what's Spike doing in Kansas? ;)
Maybe it was the coach from Smallville High. ;)
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:23 pm

The coach from SHS? Nah, he had a prior engagement - had to feed his team.

Btw, make that MO, not KA.

------
Henry

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:09 am

Keeping everyone updated, here's the latest on the house:

They've finished hauling stuff out and tearing stuff out, at least for now. We walked through the house yesterday (Sunday) to see what's been done so far. We were told they were going to try to keep the wood floors in the living room and dining room, but I just don't see how they can - they are SO warped. They've made an attempt to clean the walls in the family room, but so far it doesn't look too successful. We wonder about some of the studs and beams they've decided to keep as they look pretty charred. But on a more positive note, they have the roof trusses up and most of the sheathing on the roof done. And they are now saying they should be done by March.
Bev Image

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:48 am

Sounds like things are going well given the situation.
Keep on Truckin! Or do I mean Trekkin?

Henry

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:55 am

Henry J wrote:Sounds like things are going well given the situation.
Keep on Truckin! Or do I mean Trekkin?

Henry
Sure glad things are getting put back together....and all are safe.

Uh, Henry......you'd better ask Trucker? :smile:
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......